This recipe has a lot of ingredients in it but don't be scared away by that, it is actually fairly simple!
Chicken Avocado Tortilla Soup
- 1/3 cup chopped onion
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 3/4 tsp ground cumin
- 3/4 tsp dried oregano
- 1/4 tsp chili powder
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 8 cups chicken broth
- 1 can (14 oz) diced tomatoes
- 1 can (4 oz) diced green chilies
- 10 corn tortillas (6 inch wide)
- 1 1/2 lbs boneless, skinless, chicken breasts
- 1-3 firm ripe avocados
- 2 Tbsp chopped fresh cilantro
- 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- In a 5+quart nonstick pan over medium heat, stir onion, garlic, cumin, oregano, chili powder, and pepper until spices are fragrant (about 1 min). Add broth, tomatoes (including juice), and add green chilies. Cover and bring to a boil over high heat.
- Stack Tortillas and cut into 1/8 inch wide strips. Add to boiling broth. Reduce heat, cover and simmer for 15-20 minutes, stirring occasionally. (The strips will pretty much disolve)
- Cut chicken into 1/2 inch chunks. Peel avocado and slice or dice.
- Add chicken (raw) to broth and return to boil over high heat. Reduce heat, cover, and simmer until chicken is white in center (about 5 minutes). Stir in cilantro and salt to taste. Garnish individual bowls with avocado and add cheese to taste. I also like to add the crunchy tortilla strips to the top (they are usually with crutons).
I know the recipe looks involved, but it really is easy! Don't be scared off, it is really good!