|1 stick butter, melted|
|1/4 cup sugar|
|1 tablespoon orange juice|
|1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract|
|1 3/4 cups flour|
|1 teaspoon baking powder|
|1/4 teaspoon salt|
|Jam or preserves|
1. Combine the butter and the sugar in a large bowl. Whisk in the egg, orange juice, and vanilla extract. In a separate bowl, combine the flour, baking powder, and salt, stirring well.
2. Add the flour mixture to the butter and sugar and blend until a firm dough forms. Shape it into a flat disk, wrap it in plastic, and chill it for 1 hour.
3. Heat the oven to 375°. Roll out the dough on a floured surface to a 1/8 inch thickness, then cut out 2 1/4- to 2 1/2-inch rounds and place 3/4 teaspoon of jam or preserves in the center of each one.
4. With your finger, dampen the edges of the dough with water, then firmly pinch together the dough in 3 places to form a triangle around the filling.
5. Bake the cookies on an ungreased baking sheet for 8 to 10 minutes, until the edges are slightly browned. Transfer to a wire rack for cooling. Makes 2 to 2 1/2 dozen.
My dad and I have always loved the jam filled Peppridge farm cookies and I think that these are a good alternative:)