12 Cabbage leaves
1 lb lean ground beef
1/2 cup uncooked instant rice
1 can (15 oz) tomato sauce
1/2 tsp salt
1/8 tsp pepper
1 medium onion, chopped (1/2 cup)
1 clove garlic, finely chopped
1 (4 oz) can mushroom pieces and stems, undrained
1 tsp sugar
1/2 tsp lemon juice
1 Tbsp cornstarch
1 Tbsp water
Side note from the recipe- Cabbage leaves will separate easily if you first remove the core from the head of cabbage and let the cabbage stand in cold water for 10 min. - I didn't try this but next time I will!
1. Cover the cabbage leaves with boiling water. Cover and let stand about 10 minutes or until leaves are limp. Remove leaves; drain.
2. Heat oven to 350.
3. Mix beef (RAW), rice, 1/2 cup of tomato sauce, the salt, pepper, onion, garlic and mushrooms.
4. Place about 1/3 cup beef mixture at stem end of each leaf. Roll leaf around beef mixture, tucking in sides. Place cabbage rolls, seam sides down, in ungreased square baking dish 8x8x2. ( I had to put mine in a 9x13 I don't know how they fit it in an 8x8)
5. Mix remaining tomato sauce, the sugar and lemon juice; pour over cabbage rolls.
6. Cover and bake about 45 minutes or until beef mixture is no longer pink in center.
7. Remove cabbage rolls to platter. Pour liquid from baking dish into 1 quart saucepan. Mix cornstarch and water; stir into liquid. Heat to boiling, stirring constantly. Boil and stir 1 minute. Pour sauce over cabbage rolls.
The recipe looks a lot more labor intensive than it is. I try to keep cooking simple at our house. And with a little planning this one is pretty easy! We did think it was a bit bland and next time might try and add more onions and garlic or maybe even some sausage to spice it up a bit. And I will cut the mushrooms up a bit before adding them also. Also I used 16 oz of Tomato sauce since I had 2 8 oz cans and I just divided them evenly where it calls for the tomato sauce! I will be making this again!
The recipe came from Betty Crockers Cookbook- Bridal Edition.