Monday, February 22, 2010

Tacos with Gringo Taco Meat

I found the recipe for this taco meat in The World Wide Ward Cookbook and made it for dinner the other night. It was a good one!! I think it is one of those recipes that comes from a cook who doesn't really use recipes because there are a lot of things added "to taste" and not in exact amounts. :) So I have added a few notes about how I made it.

Gringo Taco Meat

Beef (a cheap cut), cubed - I bought a little over a pound of beef stew meat
1 8 oz. can tomato sauce
1 onion, chopped - I only used 1/3 of an onion
salt, pepper, garlic powder, cumin, and Chili powder to taste

Mix all ingredients together and put in the oven or crock pot at a low temperature for a few hours until the meat is cooked through and the moisture is absorbed.

When I made this recipe, all of the moisture didn't absorb, but the meat was done, so I shredded the meat and then strained the extra moisture off before serving.

Serve with tortillas, beans, cheese, lettuce, tomatoes, sour cream, salsa, avocado, etc. to make tacos.

No comments: