Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Easy Homemade Chicken Noodle Soup

A FAMILY FAVORITE ANY TIME OF YEAR Now bear with me, this is a recipe like most of the recipes I have consist of a little of this and a little of that "Old Family Favorites". That is how I learned to cook by sight, taste and smell. But I will try, here goes..

First this fall I canned some chicken I got on sale and with the ends I wouldn't eat I canned broth, so I am starting with that..... You can start with store bought broth or make your own.

Large Stew Pot fill about half way with broth add onion, carrots, celery, a little sage, garlic, salt and pepper, whatever your family likes.

Add canned chicken or poached chicken pieces.

Bring to a full rolling boil. Let boil whille you get your noodles ready. (this way the chicken gets really tender hopefully falling apart and all the seasoning has a chance to cure)

Homemade Egg Noodles: (for each batch)(Hint: my family of 7 we 4x)

1 1/2 Cups of Flour
1 egg
1 egg yolk
1/8 tsp salt
Enough water to make a moderately stiff dough. (Hint: If it is too soft it will disinigrate in the boiling water so error on the side of stiff)

Mix all ingredients well in a mixer and knead for 5-10 min. You will see the dough become very elastic. Roll the dough with plenty of flour. When you have them as thin as you want (Hint: they will almost double in the water) roll up like a cinnamon roll. Cut into strips all the way down the roll. Toss with flour and then put into the broth. Make sure that you have your broth back up to 1/2 way up the pot. Cook for 10 min. (Hint: The flour thickens the broth and turns it "Creamy" if you don't like this use a bigger pot, more broth and a little less flour, if you don't use enough flour they will stick together) GOOD LUCK and if you have questions, leave a comment and I will try to help you out.

No comments: