Friday, November 5, 2010

Crockpot Lasagna

  • 1 (26 oz) jar pasta sauce
  • 1 (10 oz) box lasagna noodles
  • 1 (11 oz) container pesto
  • 1 (15 oz) container ricotta cheese
  • 1 (12 oz) bag baby spinach
  • 1 cup grated Parmesan cheese
  • 16 oz mozzarella cheese, sliced
  • 1/4 cup water

Use a 4 quart slow cooker. Put a spoonful of pasta sauce (about 1/4 cup) into the bottom of your cooker and spread it around. Add a layer of uncooked lasagna noodles (you'll have to break them to make a layer. Smear some ricotta cheese and pesto onto the noodles. Add a handful or two of baby spinach, and top with a layer of Parmesan and sliced mozzarella cheeses. Repeat layers until you've run out of ingredients. The spinach is fluffy so you'll have to swish it to make it all fit.

Before closing the pot, put 1/4 cup water into empty pasta sauce jar and shake. Pour this saucy water over the top of everything . Cover and cook on low for 6 hours or on high for about 3-4. You'll know when it is done with the top layer begins to brow and the cheese is melted and bubble. It will also pull a bit away from the sides. Taste test a noodle to check texture. Uncover and let it sit for 10-15 minutes before serving.

I got this recipe off of crockpot365.blogspot. I did make a few changes to it, but it turned out great! I used a box of no boil lasagna noodles, because I have never had a successful crockpot lasagna and thought it was worth a try and for me it paid off! I also used 6 oz of spinach because that is all I had. And I used shredded mozzarella cheese except for the last layer and I used sliced there. And I also added a layer of 2 cups cooked, cubed and still frozen chicken, near the top of the layers. And I increased the water to 1/3 cup. It was pretty easy to put together and really yummy! It was a bit expensive with the pesto and all, but next time I make it I might try to make my own pesto, still worth the price though!

No comments: