Monday, October 12, 2009

Soft Sugar Cookies

This is my grandma's recipe. She always makes them at Christmas and Valentine's Day
(and my grandpa helps her frost them because he says she doesn't put enough frosting on!)
Anyway, they are my FAVORITE so I have taken up the tradition as well, except I also make them at Halloween and Easter and any other time I can justify it! :) Oh, and I usually half the recipe and still get 12-15 big cookies.
Soft Sugar Cookies:
Cream:
1 1/2 C. sugar
1 C. shortening
Add:
2 eggs
Alternately add
3 C. flour with:
1 teas. baking soda
2 teas. baking powder
added to the flour
Add:
1 C. Buttermilk (I used 1 C. milk w/ 1 TBS lemon juice added to it)
and 1 teas. Vanilla
Add 3 more C. flour.
Roll and cut out in shapes. Bake at 400* for 7-10 minutes until BARELY browning at the edges. Frost with colored frosting and add sprinkles if you like. YUM!

No comments: