- 1 1/2 cups fresh breadcrumbs (from 3 oz firm textured sandwich bread)
- 2 Tbsp cold butter, cut into bits
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 4 cups chicken or vegetable broth
- 1/8 tsp nutmeg
- 2 cups elbow macaroni ( 8 oz)
- 1 large egg yolk
- 1 3/4 cups shredded cheddar cheese
1. Preheat the oven to 350. Coat the bottom of a 9 inch square baking dish with cooking spray.
2. In a food processor combine the breadcrumbs, butter and Parmesan. Pulse on and off until the butter is completely and evenly blended into the crumbs.
3. In a medium saucepan, bring the broth and nutmeg to a boil over high heat. Stir in the macaroni, reduce the heat to a simmer and cook, stirring occasionally, until very tender 8 to 10 minutes.
4. In a medium bowl, beat the egg yolk.
5. Reserving the cooking broth, drain the pasta. One tablespoon at a time beat 1/4 cup of the reserved broth into the egg yolk. Add the pasta and toss to coat well.
6. Layer the macaroni into the baking dish in three layers, sprinkling with cheddar between each. End with a layer of cheddar, then top with the breadcrumb mixture.
7. Bake for 16 to 18 minutes, until the crumb topping is nicely browned.
I added some ham and used a little bit more cheese and it made for a really easy and yummy dinner!